Saturday, April 10, 2010

Week 5: Write-off, but a bunch of neat things.

Gah. Way too busy this week with schoolwork and job interviews to even think about the project, so nothing project-worthy happened. But a bunch of other interesting things did, which as a sum could be seen as worthy of being mentioned.

- On Tuesday I had two interviews, plus a repeat of my Improv workshop! I had messed up my scheduling and ended having an interview in the morning, then the workshop at lunch, and another interview at 4PM. The afternoon interview was more intense and I was tired. But as of Friday, I have a job offer from them, which I'm really happy about! I'll be assisting with the marketing of a non-profit company. I'm 99% likely to accept unless I get offered the other Marketing position at the video game development company I interviewed with in the morning, though I'm a bit less confident about that one (to be fair, I didn't think the afternoon interview went particularly well either). Next week should be interesting when I try to find out, then make my decision.

- Saw Wolf Parade in concert at The Phoenix on Wednesday. Wolf Parade is a pretty good band that I wish I had followed more. The songs I did recognize were particularly epic when played live, and their other stuff makes me want to listen to their new album when that comes out. If you were to listen I would recommend checking out I'll Believe in Anything (their biggest hit to date - music video linked), You Are a Runner and I am my Father's Son (which they opened with, live video linked), and California Dreamer (which is long and epic). A particularly amusing bit was when the lead singer called up his mother and we all sang her Happy Birthday over the phone. Hey, looks like someone filmed it!



- I went to karaoke with Ramy, Vanessa, and Dave on Friday night, for the first time in quite a while. We each got to sing 4 songs, which is pretty good for a packed bar! Some particularly good performers, and then just some strange people (some in a good way, some not so much). Here is one of the not so good ones:



Yes, that IS an old guy singing 'I've Got a Feeling'. No, he didn't do a good job.

There was a short lady in sunglasses who totally rocked some Stone Temple Pilots songs. One of her arms was about half as long as the other. I did NOT take a photo of that.

I sang Superman's Dead by Our Lady Peace, You Don't Know What Love Is...You Just Do As You're Told by The White Stripes, and The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room by Flight of the Conchords. Oh, and the crew backed me up for some Bad Romance (and it was good!). In fact, every single person in our group gave some of their best performances that night (that I can remember, anyway). Everyone's become a better singer than when they started doing karaoke, which is a pretty cool thing to watch people progress.

As for the venue, the place we visited had a ginormous selection...almost everything conceivable, even Enormous Penis by Da Vinci's Notebook! No Raconteurs though, sadly enough). I suspect the host pirates her karaoke, because buying all of those songs would have been really expensive. But whatever, it's all good for us.

Night ended well. I leave you with a video of Enormous Penis, which I will sing one day. These guys do amazing harmonies. Too bad they disbanded, but two of them went on to form Paul & Storm, another great group in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment